Review these requirements for the M.A. in Global Thought application.
- Transcripts showing courses and grades from all post-secondary schools attended.
- Statement of Academic Purpose not to exceed 1,000 words. Your statement should emphasize academic goals, anticipated program of study and expected impact on career.
- Writing sample no more than 10 pages in English, composed of one piece or a combination of up to three pieces or selections. You should select piece(s) that show your capabilities as an analytic writer. Your submissions need not be academic, but they should show critical thinking and examples of dealing with source material.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons with direct knowledge of your academic background and abilities. Submit no more than one recommendation from supervisors or colleagues at your place of employment.
- GRE general test scores (strongly recommended but not required).
- Columbia requires TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS scores from all international students whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English.
- Indicate any experience you have (as a native or from the classroom) in languages other than English on the GSAS Application Form. We require language proficiency equivalent to two years of post-secondary study.
You can find more detailed guidance on the GSAS website.