The Undergraduate Committee on Global Thought and Apollo Theater present
IT’S A HIP-HOP WORLD
October 14, 2015 · 8:30PM-9:30PM
Altschul Auditorium (Rm. 417), International Affairs Building
We’ve all seen hip-hop dance…but nothing like this!
UCGT hosted “It’s A Hip-Hop World,” an event organized in conjunction with the Apollo Theater’s Breakin Convention International Hip-Hop Festival. Our renowned international panel held a discussion on the topic of the intersection of hip hop between different global environments,and was followed by a Q&A and a meet and greet.
- Jonzi D, the artistic director of Breakin’ Convention
- Antoinette Gomis, a solo performer from France.
- Niek Traa, a member of Dutch hip-hop group The Ruggeds
- Jennifer Archibald, the founder of the Arch Dance Company
- Moderated by Prof. Ellie Hisama, Professor of Music, Area Chair for Music Theory and Director of Graduate Studies IRWGS
The Breakin’ Convention aims to connect hip-hop culture to its surroundings and showcase hip-hop as more than just music but also as a dance and art form that tells a story. From the best New York, U.S. and international poppers, lockers, house dancers, b boy and b girls. A packed program offers everything from mainstream to experimental, showcasing all the hallmarks of the genre – explosive energy, intricate step sequences, spot on synchronicity and choreography that crackles with wit.
“…a true, marvelous in tableaus and in groups as well as in successions of exciting solos. Fascinating…this was hip-hop as theater.” New York Times
Registration has closed.