Robert A. W. and Christine S. Carleton Professor of Civil Engineering
Founding Associate Director, Columbia Data Science Institute
Co-Director, Urban Design Lab, Columbia Earth Institute
Member, Committee on Global Thought
Patricia Culligan is Professor of Civil Engineering, Founding Associate Director of the Columbia Data Science Institute, and a CGT member.
A leader in the field of water resources and urban sustainability, Patricia Culligan explores novel, interdisciplinary solutions to the challenges of urbanization, with a particular emphasis on the City of New York. Her research investigates the opportunities for green infrastructure, social networks, and advanced measurement and sensing technologies to improve urban water, energy, and environmental management. She is co-Director of a $12 million research network sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to develop new models for urban infrastructure to make cities cleaner, healthier, and more enjoyable places to live.
Dr. Culligan is the author or co-author of more than 150 technical articles.
- Engineering Faculty Profile: Patricia Culligan
- Data Science Institute Profile: Associate Director Patricia J. Culligan
- The Earth Institute: Patricia Culligan
- Urban Design Lab: Patricia Culligan
- Plunz, R. and Culligan, P., “Group-form and urban infrastructure resilience: New York City as an example”, in Cities in the 21st Century, Routledge, 192-204. 2016.
- Ramaswami, A. A. G. Russell, P. J. Culligan, K. R. Sharma, E. Kumar, Meta-principles for developing smart, sustainable, and healthy cities, Science, Vol 352, Issue 6288, pp 940-943, 2016.
Select Honors and Awards
- 15th G.A. Leonards Lecturer (2017)
- Columbia University’s Great Teacher Award (2015)
- Columbia’s Presidential Award for Outstanding Teaching (2007)
- Columbia Engineering School Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award (2006)
- M.I.T.’s Arthur C. Smith Award for contributions to undergraduate life (1999)
- National Science Foundation’s CAREER Award (1999)
- Egerton Career Development Chair (1996)
- PhD, University of Cambridge
- MPhil, University of Cambridge
- BS Hons, Civil Engineering, University of Leeds