Fourth Annual Sovereign Wealth Fund Conference
Long-Term Investing in a Changing World
December 5 – December 6, 2013
Singapore Management University, Singapore
This conference—the fourth in a series of high-profile, international gatherings—members of the investment community, policy makers and academics came together to discuss theoretical and practical approaches to the question of long-term investing.
The emergence of large sovereign wealth funds in countries over the world has stirred the investment profession. Their common mandate which broadly commands: “Thou shalt invest for the long term, for future generations” is of global concern. Meanwhile long-term investing is difficult, particularly so today in an economic environment that is fundamentally changing, and within capital markets that are ill-adapted as it stands for attaining long-term performance objectives.
Building on our track record of high-profile conferences, in New York and in Paris, we extend our horizons going out to Singapore and bringing new expertise to the Long-Term Investment community. The conference focused on the approach and the sustainability of long-term investment processes. We brought together high-calibre academics, investment executives and policy makers from the United States, Europe and Asia to engage in debate, share their experience and push the boundaries of the investment profession forward in facing these new challenges.
Panels and keynotes focused on
- Structural changes in world inflation and growth perspectives
- Long-term investment processes and vehicles on the capital markets
- New and confirmed experience in governing sovereign wealth funds
- Lim Boon Heng, Chairman, Temasek, on Temasek’s investment perspectives (Read a transcript)
- Thomas Sargent, Professor of Economics, New York University, and Nobel Laureate in Economics, on central bank forward guidance
- Robert Shiller, Sterling Professor of Economics, Yale University, and Nobel Laureate in Economics
- Pascal Blanqué, Deputy Chief Executive Office and Chief Investment Officer, Amundi, on the new normal: golden rules of investing, impact on long-term investors and asset allocation