CGT Chair Vishakha N. Desai’s new book World As Family: A Journey of Multi-Rooted Belongings was recently published by Columbia University Press. The book explores the significance of living globally and its urgency for our current moment. Please see below to learn more.
Who am I? Where are my roots? Can I have multiple identities without betraying those roots? Vishakha Desai’s ‘in-between’ personal story of belonging as Indian, Asian, American, and human is passionate, honest, and moving. It is a powerful call for holding together the values of rooted global belonging without giving up on any part of one’s identity.
— Irina Bokova, former Director-General, UNESCO
For more information and to purchase a copy of the book, please click here. (Use code CUP20 for 20% off when purchasing through Columbia University Press).
Events surrounding the book release:
Friday, May 7: Book Launch event with Professor Fernando M. Reimers of Harvard University. More information.
Tuesday, May 11: World as Family: Vishakha N. Desai in Conversation with Prayaag Akbar, Asia Society. Watch the recorded program.
Thursday, May 13: World as Family: A Journey of Multi-Rooted Belongings with Vishakha N. Desai and Mona Eltahawy, Brooklyn Public Library. More information and to register.
Tuesday, May 18: Embracing the World as a Family: Vishakha Desai with Ray Suarez, World Affairs. More information and to register.
Friday, May 21: World as Family: Vishakha N. Desai, Pico Iyer, and Kevin Rudd, Asia Society. More information and to register.
Monday, June 17: Columbia Global Book Series with Vishakha N. Desai and Irina Bokova. Register here.
Media coverage of the book release:
- Introduction, “World As Family”, Issuu, May 21, 2021
- “So You Want to Live Globally?”, an interview with Vishakha N. Desai, May 19, 2021.
- “Vishakha N. Desai”, Podcast Interview on Art Scooping from Buzzsprout, May 6, 2021.
- “Treat the World as Family”, Interview on Good Day LA Fox 11, May 4, 2021.
- World as Family: Vishakha N. Desai in conversation with Prayaag Akbar, Asia Society India Center, May 10, 2021.
- A deeper look into the COVID crisis in India with global affairs expert Dr. Vishakha N. Desai, KTLA, May 13, 2021.
- Midday Fix: Creating a culture of “us together” instead of “us vs. them” – steps we can take from the author of “World As Family: A Journey of Multi-Rooted Belongings”, WGN9, June 3, 2021.