Global Thought Scholars
The urgent challenges confronting our world today require new and cross-cutting ways of thinking and acting. Global Thought Scholars are undergraduates who wish to engage in this work through participation in the work of the Committee on Global Thought and interdisciplinary collaboration on research projects directed toward making ideas work in the world.
The program welcomes sophomores and juniors of all majors from Columbia College, General Studies, SEAS, and Barnard. Scholars will be chosen for their academic record, commitment to new ways of learning, and diversity of backgrounds and disciplines.
- Fall 2022: Sophomores and juniors apply for the program and Global Thought Scholars are selected and announced.
- Spring 2023: Global Thought Scholars enroll in CGTH UN3600: Approaches to Global Thought to investigate transdisciplinary approaches to contemporary questions and develop collaborative research projects.
- Summer 2023: Global Thought Scholars receive stipends of up to $2000 per person to conduct research with their project teams.
- Fall 2023: Global Thought Scholars participate in a Symposium where they will present their completed projects.
- Throughout their time, Global Thought Scholars will benefit from close faculty mentoring and activities with their cohort in Global New York.
- Membership in a diverse cohort of globally-minded students
- Mentorship from Global Thought faculty
- Training in transdisciplinary thinking and teamwork with the aim of developing a broader horizon of understanding and engagement than a conventional major alone can provide
- Opportunity to engage in collaborative work on projects that aim to have impact beyond the university
- Activities in Global New York City
- Summer research stipends
- Apply in their sophomore and junior years
- Complete the application and upload a resume and transcript (unofficial is fine)
Applications for the 2023 Global Thought Scholars program are closed. Applications for the 2024 program will be accepted in Fall 2023.