World Leaders Forum Workshops
With the World Leaders Forum, Columbia has a rich tradition of bringing heads of state and other leaders to campus to explore the large economic, political, and social questions of our time. Now, undergraduates can join that conversation through workshops and meetings that will deepen their understanding of global issues.
The Undergraduate Committee on Global Thought (UCGT) organizes workshops in collaboration with World Leaders Forum events. At these WLF Workshops, students have the opportunity to discuss the most acute issues facing their generation, including climate change, economic inequality and corporate practices, with the policymakers and thinkers who make decisions that matter. In doing so, undergraduates can become more globally conscious citizens, and part of a more Global Columbia.
Undergraduates have the opportunity to participate in a small workshops with leading Columbia University faculty as well as possibly participating in a closed-door meeting with World Leaders Forum speakers. Furthermore, workshop attendees have a special opportunity to attend the World Leaders Forum event. To view upcoming and past WLF workshops, click on the links below.
Past WLF Workshops
- “Youth Leading Change: The UN Imperative”: Jayathma Wickramanayake, United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth (Sept. 13, 2019)
- The 2017 Tällberg Global Leaders, with Professor Laura Neitzel (Nov. 29, 2017)
- The Right Honourable Sher Bahadur Deuba, Prime Minister of Nepal (Sept. 20, 2017)
- Yadh Ben Achour, former President of Tunisia’s Higher Political Reform Commission and member of the United Nations Human Rights Commission (Jan. 26, 2017)
- His Excellency Sergio Mattarella, President of the Italian Republic, with Professor Alessandra Casella (Feb. 6, 2016)
- Her Excellency Michelle Bachelet, President of the Republic of Chile, with Professor Nara Milanich (Sep. 25, 2015)
- The Honorable Kevin Rudd, Former Prime Minister of Australia, with Professor Vishakha N. Desai (Sep. 16, 2015)
- Mo Yan and Chinese Literature, with MFA graduates Esther Han and Yang Liu (Nov. 6, 2014)
- His Excellency Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, with Professor Gerald Lee Curtis (Sep. 19, 2014)
- His Excellency Dr. Mohamed Moncef Marzouki, President of the Republic of Tunisia, with Professor Taoufik Ben-Amor (Sep. 19, 2014)
- Pascal Lamy and Global Governance, with Pascal Lamy and Professor José Antonio Ocampo (Apr. 18, 2014)